Monday, September 20, 2010

Nutrition Analysis

During the weekdays, I'm usually eating slightly lesser than what is being burned as calories. My food intake gives me an approximate calorie value of 2380, but my activities burn about 2700 calories. This gap between calories consumed and calories burned is compensated during weekends. In order to balance this gap, I can either reduce my physical activities (which I can't), or simply eat more nutritious food. Since option 1 is not viable, I'll have to eat more food in order to balance this ill eating habit.

Also, I'm not taking in enough vitamin A, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Calcium and other nutrients. While other nutrient-intakes were sufficiently higher than what is required, these three nutrients and several others were in 40%~70% range of what was required. However, I'm taking in more than what is necessary for other nutrients, especially sodium and selenium. This indicates that I'm eating too much salt, and therefore needs to reduce my salt intake. This increases my chance of getting ailments from high blood pressure. For other nutrients, I was taking in 7%~98% more than what's necessary.

The nutrients chart shows that my diet consists of the following: 35% fat, 52% carbohydrates, 13% protein, and 0% alcohol. As for fat, 8% was saturated fat, 13% was polyunsaturated fat and 11% was monounsaturated fat. I was getting the majority of my calories from protein instead of fat, and that is relatively healthy. Large portion of nutrients (carbohydrates) came from vegetables and fruits, reflecting my somewhat healthy diet.

Typical Weekend day:
During the weekends, I'm usually eating much more than what is being burned. I am consuming approximately 3870 calories worth of food, while burning only 3000 calories. Because of such dietary shifts from weekdays to weekends, I have a constantly shifting weight, ranging from 60 to 63. In order to raise this inequality between calories consumed and burned, I'll need to exercise more or do more vigorous physical activities.

I'm still not absorbing enough calcium, vitamin A and vitamin D, but I'm taking excessive amounts of other nutrients. I still consume excessive amount of salt, and all nutrient-intakes are considerably higher. For example, I'm taking in 343% more vitamin C and approximately 150% more iron and copper than what's recommended. There was no visible cholesterol consumption, but I lack calcium by 30% of recommended amount. It is likely that I'll have calcium-deficiency related disease or illness from too much salt.

My diet consists of the following nutrients: 38% fat, 51% carbohydrate, 11% protein and 0% alcohol. 9% of fat was saturated, 16% was polyunsaturated, and 11% was monounsaturated fat. Weekend diet still had large portion of vegetables, fruits and carbohydrate, and they balance the food pyramid.

Looking at the overall food pyramid, I'm taking sufficient amount of meat, vegetable, fruit and wheat, but I'm not consuming much dairy product. Perhaps that is why I have low-consumption of calcium. Another detrimental eating habit I discovered is that I eat too much salt. High level of sodium indicates that I'm taking in excessive amount of salt, and I need to reduce my intake in order to improve my health.

2 comments:

  1. Good job on the analysis Jong Yeup. Where did you post the graphs? (9/10)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I had sent it to you via Pantherapps...Do I need to send it again?

    ReplyDelete